Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar
Angry Constructive Criticism.... BB vs iPhone 4, Evo, Incredible... etc

Please Login to Remove!

I was not sure where to put my rant.... anyway

I have loved Blackberry ever since I had my Pearl Flip (so that has to say a lot given the nature of that device)

After a year with the flip, I've been closely surrounded by curves though I never cared for them.... so I waited for the Storm 2 to come to fruictition and gave it a shot.... To this day I still love it, and frequently show it off among iphone users, and use my fully functional bluetooth headphones with it and all........
I love all my 70+ apps, the keyboard/surepress, the camera, the music player and of course email and IM which made BB popular... I would never trade my Storm 2 for a 3GS....

But it is mid 2010 and iPhone & Android control the smartphone future... (I know that market share says it different, but its the pattern)

HTC Evo is out and iPhone 4 is about to be ready to sell... so what does have RIM to compete with that?

9800? 9700 Delta? 9650? 9300?... pleaseee...

I recently watched the 17 minutes video in chinese about BB OS 6... and after being kinda excited due to previous ads, I felt dissapointed by this in depth video...

Its certainly an improvement but I felt that is still lagging behind... I want proves that it can be installed on 9550/9520, 9700... but I already read some rumors that stated OS 6 requires around 200mb of internal memory so that would leave almost memoryless devices such as mine with 256 mb....

A way to avoid this would be for OS 6 to allow install third party apps on microSDHC or secondary memory such as the 2 GB of internal "media" memory that the Storm 2 has (which I still dont understand why it is not blend with regular 256 mb)

I have more concern about the hardware... I am tired of small-baby-step-upgrades that goes from 2MP to 3.2 to 5.... or internal app memory from 64 -> 128 ->192 -> 256 COME ON give me at least 4GB!!! and a Snapdragon processor....

having HTC phones with display of around 260 ppi of pixel density and now the iPhone with its 326 ppi.... (even when I think that much pixels is ridiculous) it made me a little jealous...
Cameras between 5 and 8 mp are the norm now
Front facing camera on both Evo and iPhone 4
Digital compass is not even new... but its nowhere near a BB phone...
Even simple things that I though I was going to get with Storm 2 such as stereo speakerphone (I initially though it was located at the bottom AND top of the unit) is not here yet.

I am also aware that many executives care very little for this type of phone, or do they?

Many co-workers at my office carry the company's BB and their own iPhone... and today I was told by some of them that they already pre-order the iPhone 4...

So where is the innovation and appealing for a regular guy to drop an iPhone and replace it with a BB?
Because I now some that was drop iPhone for an Android phone... but there are very few that goes BB looking for a SMARTphone...

At this point I feel that there are dumbphones, smartphones and somewhere in between BB is slowly trying to mantain its IQ level...

This is a (probably useless) plea for a surprise from RIM.... come on, blow our minds....

Please dont get me wrong.... I love all the features that most BB has over any iPhone, like standard connections, full BT profiles, microSDHC, removable battery, enough physical buttons and dedicated camera button... I am the autor of a SlideShow comparing Storm2 vs iPhone and showing the PROS...
But RIM needs to make a huge leap forward to caught the attention of potential iPhone and Android buyers... thats where the future market is... not in the hand of frustrated executives....

Last edited by BUC; 06-09-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote