View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
gandalf2041

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/ATT
Question Verizon at Work but Cingular at Home - HELP PLEASE

Please Login to Remove!

I must preface this thread by saying, I know very little about the various networks so, please excuse any "duh" comments...they are unintentional

My family uses Cingular but my employer uses Verizon. I know that Cingular uses the SIM for their GSM network and that Verizon can potentially use the RUIM for their CDMA network. I understand that the RUIM slot can accept a SIM card making it potentially cross compatible. The goal here is to purchase an unlocked phone that I can use on the Verizon network but which retains the ability for me to fall back to Cingular (my employer pays for Verizon access but, I don't want to carry two phones and I don't get to choose the handset)

I see that the Pearl 8130 could potentially be the phone that I am looking for but, I'm not clear on the specifics. My current Verizon phone does not have a RUIM (it's a 7130e) but, I'm assuming I can get one for the same account (for work). I guess there is also the 8830 and the 8330 due out Q1/Q2 2008? The comparison of the networks at the bb site is a little confusing to me.

As you can see, I really don't know enough about how all this works and I could really use some advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated (just remember...I'm not an expert so, keep it simple )

Thanks!