John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Facebook 1.9.0.20 now available in BlackBerry App World

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
I think this might be a BES/IT Policy issue.
I just tested a working device by activating it on BES. As soon as I did, the option greyed out.

RIM can be wildly retarded sometimes.
Places wasn't even in the latest beta that was available in Beta Zone. They just dumped the feature into a released version.
What's the point of beta testing if you don't get to test the actual features that will be in the release?

All in all, this is yet another #fail on RIM's part. Anyone who has seen the Android and iPhone Facebook apps knows that RIM's FB app is miles behind.
Well, it turns out none of this is an IT policy issue. The greyed out option in Facebook happens on devices even if they have never been on a BES. Checking in for the first time fixes this.

Lack of a GPS signal in the Places >Add a Place is a RIM bug either in the OS or the Facebook app for the Torch. If you go in and turn off "Location Data" (not
"Location Aiding") in the Location Settings in Options >Device >Location Settings it will pick up GPS every time as long as you are outside with a good GPS signal. The downside of this workaround is that if you are inside it will not pick up any cell tower triangulation. So, it is something in the software that prevents it from getting a GPS signal if it finds a cell tower signal.

RIM is slowly becoming aware there is a problem. It would really have been good for them if they would have put this out for the betazone testers before dumping in AppWorld for all but, alas, they didn't.

There is a thread in the Betazone Feedback area for Facebook 1.9 where this is a hot topic. Anyone having the issue of Places not picking up a GPS signal in "Add a Place" should post over there and provide the specifics they are asking for.

You'll need a betazone membership but here is the link:

https://www.blackberry.com/beta/threads/view/2002?
Offline   Reply With Quote