View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Skinflaps
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default Long time BB user heavily considering the Pre

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently using the 8900 and I've been with T-Mobile since the first Pearl launched. I've been extremely happy with T-Mobile's customer service, and for the most part, I've loved my Blackberries.

I was very intrigued by the Pre at the CES conference, but then the 8900 launched and I couldn't resist. For the most part I love the 8900, but compared to my previous Blackberries is has a horrible time keeping an EDGE connection for some reason, which is quite annoying. Also, I'm getting frustrated with T-Mobile's lack of 3G in my area and it doesn't look like we'll be getting it any time soon.

Now that the Pre has been released and I've had time to play with it, and read more hands-on reviews, I'm strongly considering it for a few reasons.

1) The WebOS platform is amazing. I like it better than any other smartphone I've seen out there (iPhone, G1, BB, etc.). As a matter of fact, the BB OS is really starting to feel outdated. I love the amount of 3rd party apps that are available for the BB now, but when all is said and done, it still feels like the "same old".

2) Sprint's $99mo Simply Everything plan blows every other carrier's plans out of the water. Even if I paid the early termination fee with T-Mobile, it would only take me about 8 mos to recoup my cost, and over the course of the remaining 16 mos of my contract I'd save $400! And I'd be getting more for my money! Seems like a no brainer.

3) 3G EVDO: download speeds on the Pre are awesome. Side-by-side comparisons have shown the Pre Browser to be faster than the iPhone's and it shows more content.

Don't get me wrong, the 8900 is a beautiful device and BB has been my friend for about 4 years now, but I think they're falling behind the curve. (no pun intended)