View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #24
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

To many ppl that work in a corporate environment don't have coverage within corporate buildings. The company I do tech for has 3 bldg's that can withstand a class 7 hurricane. Many employees travel for days on end stopping by hotels or international airports where they many have WLAN chipset issues on their laptop. Few of those travelling have BB's and can use cellular coverage on GPRS/EDGE (AT&T major contract - the lions' share), put during their travels are out in CDMA land. IN a situation where Laptop WLAN issues cannot be resolved downtime costs $$$ and fustration. Actually these ppl REALLY love working & doing their work for their company and get angry at us when they cannot complete it. WLAN BB in this situation would connect on Motel/Hotel WLAN and directly into company Intranet.

about 100 users use their corporate BB's to log trouble tickets or action them wirelessly on cell network via BES over MDS and within a mobile access of Remedy AR system.

NOW users are seriously more curious of running Mainframe TN3270 on teh BB via the web emulation access. Which cannot be done without expensive software like Idokorro's offerings or other SSH tools that enable TN3270. There are an increasing number of employees that travel trains for their job (BNSF Railway) across many cities and states, where a simple terminal is setup for them to log entries, time worked = payroll time keeping, or even check for jobs they "bid" on for the next outbound train. Most of these terminals are dialup connected, few are DSL over a dedicated VPN box connection. BOTH are not only fustrating to us and the end user but also time consuming to troubleshoot. Most of the setups have teh DSL modem and VPN box locked away where they cannot reboot them to fix a connectivity issue. I'd rather remove & readd to the BES if they could connect on the BB if they had an issue.

Personally at home I'd love to have my WiFi along with my BB. I know my service provider will NOT support it but I can change my @Home Cable phone service to Vonage and get another phone with WiFi (my wife prefers Windows Mobile but it can work or even a Nokia WiFi). I'd like to use WiFi "IF" it doesn't come out of my monthly plans BB MB pkg.