View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Looking for new cellphone provider instead of AT&T

Who knows exactly what will happen with BB10 and legacy BBOS devices when BlackBerry terminates support shortly (in the next year or so, maybe less, I've lost track).

By way of example, I recall years back with the 99XX series (I believe), there was an issue with the BlackBerry compass app. It turned out there was something to do with communication or adjustment/control by BlackBerry servers, and the actual problem was at the BlackBerry side, not on the devices. The issue is certainly discussed somewhere on these forums. The larger issue illustrated by this example is the question of what depends on BlackBerry support, what might there be that is critical that we aren't aware? What is going to happen if you can't sign into the device with your BlackBerry ID? You would hope the device would still work as a phone, but will that be the case?

I would be looking for another solution. And in fact I am, and I expect I will not be using a BlackBerry by this next spring or summer, or maybe sooner.

As far as carrier's, the advice is the same regardless. Which service provider will deliver good coverage where you live, work, travel, and play? Those are your choices. But I would add my preference is to buy a GSM device unlocked and choose a carrier that let's me bring my own device.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-08-2018 at 06:55 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote