View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
janetdoyle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default Re: I am new to BBM, BlackBerry AND smartphones, question re WiFi only and BBM on Z10

There is a fundamental lack of understanding on my part, I believe. I thought I understood that when "Mobile Network" is ON, I could text and phone... If it's "Off" I could not text or phone.

And that when "Data Services", a separate box to enable, is turned OFF, the more expensive data plan is not accessed for internet and, possibly, BBM [not sure about whether BBM is picked up on normal cell phone side or data side... or also carried by free WiFi.] Turnng off "Data Services" has not disabled my access to the Internet while I have a live connection to the house WiFi.

A separate control box is on the Z10 screen for WiFi, obviously that is the free WiFi or the password-enabled WiFi we have in our house for computers...

What I can't still understand from the above posts is why you are suggesting turning the whole "Mobile Network" off [thus disabling phone calls and texts, I assume] and that my turning off the "Data Services" will not be sufficient to protect against over-use on my part of my data/internet plan, costwise. Are you just warning me to be super cautious in case the carrier does charge me, or are you speaking from familiarity with the "WiFi" connection versus the "Data Services" connection. I am assuming here that yes, Data is the same as WiFi but that it is considered the chargeable service provided by the carrier, so that if it is turned off, the WiFi [a separate box] connection will suffice and will not incur charges on my plan. How can I explain myself, sorry.

I believe I used the BBM service with my "Data Services" turned Off, and that it used the WiFi connection we have here in the house which I have connected the Z10 to...
Offline   Reply With Quote