View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
DawneJ

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Re: Playbook Browser Issue! Please Help

Hi everyone... As a newbie Ixxx8217;m not sure if itxxx8217;s my place to advise but wanted to let others (especially playbook newbies like me). I got some great advise from aiharkness THANK YOU!!, so this is what I actually ended up doing after everything else I tried (in my posted question) failed.

Hope this helps other xxx8220;newbiesxxx8221; if you have the same problem with BROWSER NOT WORKING/HANGING UP on your playbook.

Apparently from days of research on the internet tons of people are having the same problem after upgrading from 2.0.1.358 to 2.0.1.668

I did a backup first before doing the next step of the security wipe, but in the end I couldnxxx8217;t restore to todayxxx8217;s date as the OS wasnxxx8217;t compatible. I had to pick a backup I had done in July (before the upgrade to .668). I lost some photos etc but really didnxxx8217;t seem to have a choice if I wanted my tablet to work again. I also did step 8 first which obviously a lot of people wouldnxxx8217;t do.

1. Did a security wipe of playbook (gear icon, security, security wipe)
*security wipe deletes all data, files and applications*
this may not have been necessary but did not want to take a chance with having to repeat steps over

2. Opened desktop manager (DM) on computer (Desktop Manager I used version 7.1.0.32) and connected PB to computer

4. With PB connected to DM, restarted PB by doing a hard reset (hold down volume up, volume down, and power button at the same time) Do this until DM kicks into gear and you get a new window popup update option. I had to do this twice to get the popup. In this popup window on DM there will be an update button in the middle, click on update. The update said that I would be installing 2.0.1.358 (downgrade from previous version of 2.0.1.668)

followed all prompts (last one will be a disconnect from DM to complete setup)

5. TEST OS BEFORE doing a restore. Open browser (this will be the stock browser that comes with the OS just installed), check that it will connect to websites. Check stock apps by opening.

6. Reconnect PB to DM and restore (this took 1 hr 45 minutes for 7.77 GB on a fairly new computer) restored all application data/settings/media. As I said in my first paragraph, I couldnxxx8217;t restore to todaysxxx8217; date, had to pick earlier backup. Because of this I did step 7.

7. I synced all my media (pictures, videos, music) from my device to my PC. I never want to go through losing my stuff again....

8. The restore doesnxxx8217;t put apps back the way they were it seems, or didnxxx8217;t put them all back at all. After the restore I had to:
A reinstall some apps, and
B add my email accounts.

(I had taken screen shots of all my playbookxxx8217;s desktops and added them to Evernote prior to doing the security wipe. I had five desktops total and had a system going to find my apps easily. Not sure if everyone else does this or not so disregard if you donxxx8217;t)
-reinstall all apps (under app world, my apps, uninstalled)
- add all email accounts back on playbook
-rearrange all apps into pages (which is where my Evernote screenshots came in handy)
Offline   Reply With Quote