View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
squeff
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

While the built-in app is pretty bad, with a little thought it might work for you. What you describe is fairly simple. As I read it, you want to be able to have a laundry list of stuff to do when you get a chance (sort of the high-tech version of the old "honey-do jar") plus you want to set reminders/alarms for a few things.

Both of these can be done with the built-in app. The trick is creating categories that are meaningful and then to use the filter functionality to look at just the category/categories that pertain to the situation (e.g., "home chores").

Now, when I get my Blackberry, the miserable tasks application was something that I simply could not deal with. However, in my case, I manage a half dozen work projects, have family responsibilities, and so forth. I also have need for repeating tasks. So, I looked at a number of applications. None of them were any good. ToDo Matrix seemed overly complex and w-a-y too expensive. However, on the third time I gave it a trial, I fell in love with it. It's not perfect, but the $60 has ended up being well worth it. After calendar and mail, it's my most used tool on my Blackberry.

In fact, I liked it so much, that I ended up also buying IdeaMatrix. This, too, see terribly expensive. But once you start to use it, it works so well that I can't live without it.

I may need to switch away from the Blackberry soon, and these apps are the main reason that I'm having a hard time making the move.

In the end, however, don't pay $60 if all you need is to create a memo that lists "honey-do" type items. That might be good enough.
Offline   Reply With Quote