Old 06-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
I'M NO EXPERT BUT...

They posted some extra expenses. I suspect these were due to the pending BIS upgrade. This should pay off handsomely fairly quickly.

I also suspect thier device sales were a bit off because people (like ME!) are holding off on getting a new BlackBerry in anticipation of the new devices that will start to come out in August. With two Bold models, the Clamshell model, and the Touchscreen model, I would guess device sales will climb right back up in the next 2 quaters.

As for the iPhone 3G, although the release of the iPhone last year did nothing but BOOST BlackBerry sales (after disappointed buyers switched to BlackBerry), I do think this model will cut into BlackBerry sales a bit. It may cut RIM's market share by as much as 10%, but I would be surprised if it gets over 5%. That still means RIM would hold %33 to %38 of the WORLD Smartphone sales.

IMHO it's a GOOD DAY to BUY.

Any one willing to front me the CASH???!!!

RIM's market share worldwide is actually less than 30% now. Apple is in third, maybe fourth depending on Nokia/SE percentages. In the US RIM has 40% percent and that market share has been growing in the last few months, while Apple has lost ground. Will the iPhone 2 sell very well? absolutely. I am sure it will sell millions of units. But i am still betting that RIM will have a better second half of the calendar year than apple. the 9000, 9100, and 9500 all launching.
Offline   Reply With Quote