Old 08-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
militman5583
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: PM Me
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
So you are saying that, under your interpretation of the new rules, that Cingular will help you unlock a T-Mobile branded BlackBerry.

I beg to differ.
Let me rephrase that. I take back the statement about the carriers helping you unlock the cell phones. However, if you have a contract through t-mobile and have been a customer for more than 90 days, they will help you unlock the cell phone. If you have completed your contract through AT&T they will unlock yours. Also if you have a cell phone unlocked already, which you purchased through T-mobile, ebay, or the maker itself, they have to let you activate it through their carrier. They will try to get your money by making you buy one of theirs but you do not have to.

It can be done under the regulations of the FCC. They have to honor your wish if it can be used in that carriers service. This mainly goes for GSM phones.

Sorry for the confusion. I just wanted it known that they have to service you although they might try to tell you the you have to buy their phone.

Will unlocked cell phones free consumers? | Tech News on ZDNet

PC World - Joys of Unlocked Cell Phones