NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT&Verizon
Default Re: Dropbox (in)security

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
That's right - the hack was also done by social engineering - getting the last 4 digits of his credit card that was stored on Amazon, and getting Apple support to change the password. It might have been a different article, but on one of them Mat Honan said the hacker told him he just wanted the Twitter handle @mat because he thought it was cool.

And having all your online accounts linked to each other isn't so good because if one gets compromised, all the rest can be compromised too.

I remember that news about Dropbox misrepresenting what they do to encrypt customer data. How can one trust a company after that.... ?
Fact is a person cannot trust any company where you don't have the personal ability to verify they are doing what they say. Many companies claim they keep user information private but since we users can neither check on their performance nor punish them for violating their promises their claims are essentially worthless.

However I suppose a cloud service could be useful if the data could be encrypted prior to uploading. Encryption using a long, random key should make the data private even if accessed on the cloud server. Not to say it could never be compromised. But, the effort would be too much for just about everyone.

What encryption application to use? Who knows what machine I'll use a year from now? Except I know it won't be Apple. Anyone know of a file encryption application that runs on Blackberry, Windows and Android?

Last edited by NoBox; 08-24-2012 at 02:25 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote