MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWheezy View Post
From Verizon Wireless....

1. Why isn't the native GPS mapping tool available on the BlackBerry 8830?
The tool has not yet met our standards for performance, security and privacy.
2. Will Verizon Wireless have mapping software on the BlackBerry 8830?
Verizon Wireless is currently modifying its own location based mapping service, VZ Navigator, for the BlackBerry 8830. The plan is for VZ Navigator and certain third party GPS applications to be available for the BlackBerry 8830 this year. The Blackberry is currently GPS capable to support Enhanced 911 Phase 2 automatic location identification.

3. Why didn't Verizon Wireless use the native GPS service on the device at least until your service was tested and ready for use?

The GPS service that is native to the Global BlackBerry does not have the level of security, protection or performance that Verizon Wireless requires (security precautions are important to prevent unintended use or misuse of location data). From a performance perspective, Verizon Wireless expects its network assisted approach to provide more accurate and faster location information, and better performance indoors and in dense urban areas.

4. Is it true that the reason Verizon Wireless doesn't allow the use of the native GPS service on the BlackBerry because the company won't make money if customers use the BlackBerry service?

While it is certainly true that we receive revenue from Verizon Wireless applications that we may not receive from native GPS solutions, it is also true that when our brand is associated with a device or service, it needs to meet our standards for high quality and secure service. The GPS service that is native to the Global BlackBerry has not been approved for the level of security, protection or performance that Verizon Wireless requires.

5. Why don't other carriers have issues with the GPS service from RIM?
We can't speak for other carriers but Verizon Wireless takes a very conservative approach to protecting customers privacy. Any service offered by Verizon Wireless must pass testing and have the necessary security to protect customers from unintended identification.

6. This phone was advertised as having GPS but I now find that it does not because Verizon Wireless disabled it?
Verizon Wireless is very careful to only advertise the features and services available on the devices it sells to ensure that customers get what they want and expect when they purchase a new device. None of the Verizon Wireless advertising on this device referenced mapping tools. Any service offered by Verizon Wireless must pass testing and have the necessary security to protect customers from unintended identification. The current GPS service does not currently meet our security requirements.

7. For some other carriers, Blackberry Maps, Google Maps, Telnav, etc. have access to the GPS functionality in the 8800. Why wouldn't your company allow this type of service?

Verizon Wireless supports Assisted GPS (AGPS) rather than stand-alone GPS like some others use. AGPS uses the Verizon Wireless Network to provide more accurate, faster location information, in addition to better navigation performance indoors and in dense urban areas. At launch, we elected not to implement other applications because of the overall impact they could have on the devices performance.

8. How is the Verizon Wireless GPS service secure?
Our location based service requires customers to choose to be identified by a GPS service before the users location is shared. It is the best way to protect customers and minimize the potential for "man in the middle" attacks. The Verizon Wireless Location Service encrypts the customer location information in the device before transmitting it to the network. Verizon Wireless requires all location requests be authenticated before the handset or network can obtain a customers location information.

9. What do I do for GPS service now since Verizon Wireless hasn't approved any service? I'm unhappy and want my money back.

While we respect your request, we would encourage you to be patient for our updates to the BlackBerry 8830, which will support several options for GPS. The BlackBerry 8830 is a great device that allows customers to stay in touch while traveling in over 170 countries for voice service and 90 countries for email. Should you wish to return your device, the Verizon Wireless Worry Free Guarantee allows customers 30 days to be completely satisfied with their service or they get their money back. Please call *611 on your Verizon Wireless phone to discuss options based on your individual circumstances.
Since you did not post this in original format i.e. to you and who sent it too you from VZW, I for 1 have a hard time believing this is from a VZW CS rep or Executive Services or any other part of VZW . But thats my view/opinion.
Personally I have tired of Verizon's BS, and marketing games