View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisot View Post
Yeah, those directions say open it in a text editor... Notepad and wordpad are text editors. So I don't understand why you say neither...
Those directions actually say "A decent plain text editor (notepad not recommended)."

Now, as the author I will tell you why: Microsoft uses different encoding in their text editors than pretty much everything else on the market. For example the character used to make a new line from a unix text editor will not always work in notepad, and you'll get one long line for the entire file, with box characters where a new line should occur.

Similarly some scripts will ignore the windows new line character and interpret a file as all one line.

In the case of alx files, I don't think this makes a different at present. But to be on the safe side - because I have personally had experiences where everything looked fine in notepad and crapped out when a program had to interpret it - I've recommended something else.

Textpad is a fantastic editor - the best aside from VIM IMO - and I highly recommend it as it's easy to use, has lots of useful features, and encodes properly (or not, if that's what you want).