Old 08-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #66
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Hey, that is good news. A lot of us are getting different mileage on this and can not complete a full backup...
As I alluded to previously, I'm a pretty anal upgrader when it comes to major releases (4.2 -> 4.5). My process went something like this:

1) make full backup with DM 4.2 just in case (have a last resort plan if everything goes wrong)

2) copy any ringers, wallpaper, etc. from the Device Memory to the Media Card somewhere

3) backup your media card to your PC, deleting all the 'BBThumbs.dat' type files in the backup on the PC afterwards.

4) make a "trim" backup of JUST info data (addresses, calendar, notes, browser urls, phone hotlists, etc. - no settings, no cache, nothing but the 6 or 7 core information databases) in DM 4.2. It's important to NOT back up anything which might be a "setting", such as a WiFi profile, a ringer Profile, and so forth. There is a known bug in at least one OS release that restoring a backup containing some of this data breaks stuff! (I can dig up the thread, it's from way back)

5) uninstall DM 4.2 and manually erase any leftover RIM directories, reboot

6) install DM 4.5 and reboot again

7) perform steps #1 and #4 with DM 4.5 again. #4 via DM 4.5 is the ultimate restore backup

8) use JL_CMDR to wipe the blackberry

9) install the new OS databits to the PC, remove modules as needed (I left VAD this time, I want my About screen to work). Install the OS to the device using the methods everyone knows about from a wiped device.

10) use JL_CMDR to resettodefault (ensures no 'IT Policy' BS got on the device)

11) reformat the media card from within the device itself

12) resend all your service books to your device (do this NOW). Go into Options -> Advanced -> Default Services and set the CICAL and CMIME to point to your normal default email setup (I have 9 emails configured). See Note #3 below about this.

13) restore the (#4) backup created in step #7 with DM 4.5.

14) copy media card content back from PC to device

15) pull the battery, after a restart start configuring everything from the ground up - 3rd party installs and all that jazz

Note #1: because I use Nexthaus SyncJe, my 'trim' database does not contain Contacts, Tasks or Calendar. I install SyncJe right after step #13 and sync back down my data from the server in the sky -- this is a unique step that has to do with avoiding "sync anchor" problems with SyncJe and fresh OS installs.

Note #2: I don't have anything on my device that stores information (such as a password keeper or whatever). If you use apps such as this make sure to make backups of those datastores to your PC first, then restore them when you're done. I store everything on a server in the sky somewhere, my device is "dumb" and doesn't require a regular interval PC sync; it can break in half and I can go get a new 'berry and have everything back in a little while.

Note #3: You must make sure to set the Default Services to the proper settings so that when you restore the Calendar data it attaches to your normal primary email. OS 4.2 did not have this capability to set which account like OS 4.5; if you restore a Calendar with the Default Services set to a random email (not primary) that is who it will attach all the restored Calendar entries to.

Last edited by rivviepop; 08-31-2008 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: clarify #9
Offline   Reply With Quote