Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
carteelith
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Thumbs up 8100 Disassembly photos and instructions - Updated

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, since the sticky no longer has images, I figured I'd take pics while I took apart my 8100 and post them for you all! Cheers and be careful.

NOTE: You will void your warranty doing this.
NOTE: WEAR LATEX GLOVES IF YOU DONT WANT TO MUCK UP YOUR BEAUTIFUL SCREEN!

[Step 1]
Gaze adoringly at your Pearl.

[Step 2]
Remove the back cover

[Step 3]
Remove the battery

[Step 4]

Next you will be removing the lowest portion of the body. It is below the keyboard, between the silver side panels, and wraps from front to back. It's extremely tricky. There are four tabs (see pictures below): 2 on the front, 2 on the back. The 2 on the back are easily accessible, the 2 on the front are not at all. What I found to be the easiest way to do this was to pop the back 2 up with your fingernails, then push up and around until it just pops off. If you find it easier, try using a smallllll flat screwdriver to pop the front part up first (and leave it there to hold it up), then the back ones, and slide it off.

WARNING: DIRECTLY BENEATH THIS PORTION THAT YOU ARE REMOVING IS THE ANTENNA. CHANCES ARE, THE PLASTIC WILL CATCH THE ANTENNA AND DO WHAT IS PICTURED BELOW. Mine still works though, so i wouldn't be TOOOOO worried. just be aware of it. That green thing is the antenna.

[Step 5]
Remove all the screws. YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE THE SIDES. They require a T7 bit. (t=torx but when you're buying it, just ask for a T7. ). Be careful, these screws absolutely suck and you will strip them before you know it. Just take your time and push while turning.

[Step ]
Remove the silver sides. You really only need your fingernail to do this after you've removed the screws.

[Step 7]
LOL at the skin and dust in your beautiful phone.

[Step 8]

To separate the two pieces, pop the 4 clips with your nail or something. They're very easy to get off.

Now you are free to do whatever you want with the insides and all that jazz. I hope you all enjoy this, I stripped one of the screws and won't be able to completely reassemble mine until I can find one that fits or buy a replacement.

Tips: If you are planning on doing this again sometime, use regular screws to put it back together (obviously same width and length so you don't ruin anything).
Offline   Reply With Quote