View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #57
retro-steve

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

May be reviving a bit of a thread here, but I got hydrogen peroxide on my Bold trackball (finger was smashed and had it all over my finger). The phone started acting crazy pressing buttons when I wasn't doing anything, kind of like spilling pop on a computer keyboard. After blowing compressed air through it the trackball would no longer select or scroll. Being out of warranty I did this process of taking off the sensor dome, scrubbing it with rubbing alcohol as well as the contact, blowing compressed air through and replacing the trackball. It now works, I do have to press the ball a little harder than before and sometimes it double clicks, but seeing as how I'm only a couple months away from being eligible to upgrade this is a lot better than $500 for a new Bold.

I found the copper colour tape would not stick so I used Scotch tape and cut a square of the same size, works just as well, as other people have stated here.

This is not a daunting task, everyone warns if you are not electronically inclined not to attempt, but as long as you're not completely retarded it should be fine. Be careful with everything and follow all instructions step by step and it's really easy. *side note I may be slightly more electronically inclined than most people, but anyone can do this with steady hands and not too forceful pressure, especially on the retention clips on the Bold trackball assembly.*
Offline   Reply With Quote