Thread: RIM vs. Samsung
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #25
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

With such a negative attitude about lawyers and our justice system, you must have had a bad experience with lawyers and the courts. Regrets for that, but while it's fashionable to slam lawyers or insult the profession, on this Forum and thread, the shotgun criticisms of lawyers and the profession are irrelevant.

Remember that if RIM sues Samsung, it's RIM who retains the lawyers to represent them in court. The lawyer is not the one deciding to sue, RIM is the decision maker. This is the way it has been for hundreds of years.

In big business, high stakes litigation, lawyers merely advise and then tell the client the various options it has, from doing nothing to suing. Ultimately, it is the business entity, not the "candy loving" lawyer, who makes the decision to sue.

While some businesses will sue the competition as a business strategy [hence, they look for any way to sue, no matter how frivolous the reason], in IP cases [intellectual property], which is the subject of this thread, your point is misplaced.

In other contexts your "anybody can sure anyone for anything" statement may be accurate. In fact, I have said words similar to yours to many an inquiring client who wants to know if he or she will be sued or counter-sued.

*end*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo99
lol...asking a lawyer if RIM has a "case" is like asking your kid if they like candy.

you can sue anybody for just about anything in this country (i heard on the radio today someone tried to sue God for losing his job haha)...whether you win or not is a different story.

this case reminds me of the case where BMW sued Infiniti for using the letter M in their name (BMW's M-series vs. Infiniti's M35/M45). not sure how that went.

RIM is prolly just trying to differentiate their products to the market/masses and lawsuits are relatively inexpensive way to do so.

from a consumer point of view though, this is a pretty frivolous lawsuit. it makes it look like RIM is afraid of a little competition or worse RIM doesn't trust the consumer to differentiate between BlackJack and BlackBerry products.

makes me think twice about getting any RIM product (was considering 8800)...maybe i'll wait for the ePhone instead.

JMHO

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 12-17-2006 at 05:17 PM..