View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #38
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: BBM or Whatsapp?

We are going in circles now. I will try and clarify before moving on.

1. I think encrypted messages between client and server is good enough for most users, particularly for a case like BBM where the communication is peer to peer and only transits the server and isn't stored on the server.

2. I don't knock end to end encryption, and only point out that it isn't the be all and end all of security. For someone who actually needs it for sensitive business or where regulations or ethical requirement make it necessary, it then becomes a piece of the overall security solution.

As this thread proceeded I realized we all know this. But it makes me shake my head when I read other users worried about end to end encryption and yet don't know the first thing about it. And those same people complain about not being able to root their BlackBerry, complain about not being able to unlock the BlackBerry because they can't remember their password, can't understand why someone can't look up their BlackBerry ID for them, etc, etc.

3. About metadata, it is one thing for the metadata trail to be there for someone to follow if they take an interest. It's another thing to be concerned about the security of your business or your privacy and in turn use a service that you know is collecting and selling your metadata and whatever else they have on you. Fine, you don't feel the need to try and hide or obfuscate your metadata, but if you feel the need to go all the way on end to end encryption, why use a service that you know is tracking you and selling the data any way it can? That's where I see the flaw in the logic.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile