NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT&Verizon
Default Re: BBM or Whatsapp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
If you mean mindset about collecting and brokering advertisements and who knows what else from your personal information, then ditto, I agree.

I'm guessing several things about WhatsApp rolling out end-to-end encryption....

* WhatsApp has a lot to make up for given past security issues. I know this probably doesn't register for the average user, but negativity builds and eventually those who didn't know or care suddenly become aware even if they don't understand.

* Digital and mobile privacy is so hot right now. It is great marketing to leverage it. But it is debatable how important end-to-end encryption is to 99% of users. And then you figure the users so worried about their chat app having data in transit encryption end to end, but don't lock their device, root it, and give no thought to the data on the device.

* Yes, BlackBerry should be giving away end to end encryption rather than charging for it. I cringe when I read, "But that is about the consumer <fill in the blank> and not our enterprise <fill in the blank>.

* No need to rehash the information that is provided as well as can be derived from metadata. I think what is evident is Facebook is happy without the content, and metadata is plenty valuable, than you very much.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
We may have a bit different opinions on the need for content encryption. My experience is that for most people everything should be private. That is the approach that governs HIPPA. Then, if a person wants to disclose their personal info that is their perogitive. I venture to say most people. don't have a clue how seemingly innocuous information can be damaging in the wrong hands.

Guess I don't understand the repeated references to Facebook. My understanding is that Facebook owns Whatsapp and nothing more. There is some history. But it is just that, history.

My disaffection with BlackBerry began when I purchased some Playbooks. They didn't perform as generally advertised. But, if a person read all, not just some, of the tech specs a person saw what they were really about. What a chore since they assumed an uncommon level of familiarity with BB devices and policies.

Then, after spending literally hours on the phone with BB and being told to send one Playbook in for repair, I was asked to acknowledge that if their testing showed no malfunction it would be returned and I would be charged for a new device. Not shipping and a service fee (although that would be unfair since they asked for the device) a new device. Since BB documentation was such a convoluted mess that was a real concern.

No need to belabor the points. Witness our discussion about the various flavors of BBM. Blackberry hasn't changed. In today's world that is fatal. Even enterprise has gone beyond BB. One company I'm aware of dumped BB in favor of Samsung and a different, more suitable server package.

Oh well, companies come and go.

At some point you folks will get tired of this and you'll go too. Hmmm, wonder if someone, somewhere is still posting about Kaypro?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Offline   Reply With Quote