View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #35
RandomTask

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vzw
Exclamation Bing icon resulting from App World Update

Hello,

Just thought I'd chime in here and add my 2¢.

My carrier is Verizon and my BB is an 8330.

I recently had an occasion to fire up the BB App World, which I hadn't done in quite a while. Upon launching App World, there was a popup to the effect that there was a newer version that needed to be updated. IIRC, I proceeded with the update from 1.0.0.25 to 1.1.0.24 and then a phone restart.

After the restart I had the Bing icon amongst my other BB desktop icons. I'd recently read (on Reddit) that Verizon and/or RIM had a hand in instigating this, and not wanting my phone configuration altered, I got a little ticked off when I spotted the new Bing icon as I had read that my default search engine in 'Go To' would be changed from my preferred Google to Bing.

However, I can report that not having launched Bing from the icon (I'm confused as to what would prompt someone to do that without first investigating its sudden appearance, after all it did appear without consent and may therefore be malicious, no?) and instead, having hid it has resulted in no observable change to my BB configuration other than the appearance of the icon itself and my having to hide it.

So, I would encourage anyone else on Vzw who's recently updated their BB App World and now has the Bing icon to not launch it unless (as previous posters have mentioned) they wish to have Bing installed and instead hide it and forget about it.

Cheers and Happy New Year to one and all.
Offline   Reply With Quote