View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #19
New-bold

Model: 7290
Question No Data Connection also

I am also new to Blackberry and wanted to try the device before commiting my team to it. So I bought an unlocked new 7290 on E-Bay. When I got it, it had no service books and no browser. I installed mini-opera and then found I was still unable to browse the web. I have spent several hours looking over BBs and have understood the following

1) There seems to be a lack of consistency in experience...some people with unlocked devices that have assigned themselves to a network claim to just be able to set the APN and then get working.

2) Others claim the above doesn't work.

So now I am confused. I see it stated that you need a contract to get working on GPRS...but the cellular provider has no clue about your device type...I can take the same SIM and put it in WM5, Palm, Nokia and it works for GPRS. So I conclude the issue is with the Device. I am gradually understanding that Service Books dictate what a phone can do. Without the Service Book you can't use the Service. The Service Books are issued by RIM to the Service Provider. Hence no contract, no service book and no ability to get GPRS working!

Is my analysis correct. Is there a Service Book for Internet or GPRS ? Does anyone have an overview of the Blackberry device architecture ?