View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #48
andykwg

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO
Default Beyond the phone

I think one issue for customers can be the service plan....

3G plan for iphone can be rather expensive (since AT&T here will try to set it as a higher standard compare to the 2.5G service plan). For all the features, music over WiFi make more 'economic' sense unless 3G is going to be an unlimited package, or the music over 3G is better priced. Otherwise, why am I not going to download the music faster at home or even at starbucks using WiFi (so there is no bandwidth charge)??

In terms of emails, 3G email does not seem to be 'better' in terms of experience.

Web browsing/Map/applications definitely need 3G. I have had WIN-Mobile phone (sony P1i), blackberry, iphone (all current generation) and the most usable browser seems to be the iphone one, BB/Win browser is OK, but just can't beat the iphone experience yet. BB TUNDER with touch screen can be a killer to iphone if it works right. However, Sony's camera is really really good... the P1i have a 3MPixel camera, and it is good enough to ditch my 7MPixel Nikon for everyday use. If the Sony X1 5MP phone is as good, it can be a big hit outside of US (where people just buy the phone outright unlocked, assuming it is not a $1000+ phone....).

Obviously, there are people who will get the phone they like regardless of the service plan. But looking over all the facts.... I have to guess BOLD/THUNDER from Blackberry on T-Mobile (in US market) will have higher volume of sales as original BB users update to it and normal 'phone' consumers will ease into it. The iphone follower will have to pay for the experience, but it is also setting a 'STATUS/ESTEEM/FASHION' of such ownership.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by andykwg; 05-22-2008 at 10:46 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote