View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #40
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post
I haven't actually tested it but I believe you should be able to use the RIM VSM, change it's VID to 102, and get hotspots and the engineering screens. Oh, except that the RIM VSM doesn't have the APN info like the AT&T VSM does, so after loading a RIM VSM and the OS you have to go into Options -> Advanced Options -> TCP/IP and manually enter the AT&T APN info. .
Very, very clear. Thanks again. I did have to manually enter the APN info--no problem.

One last question--do you know if it's possible to load a new VSM into the BB /without/ going through the preliminary processes of debranding the phone, then reloading the VSM, then reloading the OS? I've seen conflicting answers to this on various forums.

That is, if you already have a functioning unbranded phone with a good working OS loaded, can you use the usual program with the "hidden screen" for loading VSM, and just load the new VSM without going through the whole process of re-rebranding the BB? Loading the VSM itself is a one second operation when done in conjunction with rebranding, whereas the entire procedure of unbranding, loading the VSM, then loading the OS with all the re-registration of the third party apps can easily take an hour or more. Maybe with just one byte changed in the VSM that could be done??
Offline   Reply With Quote