Old 02-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #20
lifesaver1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Gotcha. Good luck. I guess you already know . . . Don't hold out hope for things to improve.
Thanks. I think it depends on the degree to which Verizon would consider this important to their reputation for reliability, etc. It appears from what I have read that Verizon relies on a subcontractor to provide its international texting services. There is reportedly a LOT of money to carriers in text services, as texts use miniscule bandwidth to deliver. Presumably, either the subcontractor is doing a poor job, or Verizon is contracting with them at an intentionally lower cost and lower service level.

In either case, I think Verizon could correct this (if T-Mobile and AT&T can do it, they should be able to), if they see it as a priority. They have recently been pushing their international interoperability, since that is a particular strength of T-Mobile and AT&T, so we shall see. What I think they have been doing up to now is implying that they provide a similar level of service in international SMS, though not actually providing it. Part of the intent of my post is to correct this apparent misimpression. Perhaps the emperor has no clothes and having that pointed out, might want to put some on.
Offline   Reply With Quote