Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Post Use your blackberry as modem with just Barry

Please Login to Remove!

Generally, Net Direct :: Open Solutions is all you need to install and set up, but here is general guideline on what I did in order to make mine work (Sprint).

I used Ubuntu Hardy Heron with sprint blackberry.

Install those packages by shell command:
Quote:
sudo apt-get install pkg-config libusb-dev libssl-dev libboost-serialization-dev libtar-dev libgtkmm-2.4-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libglademm-2.4-dev zlib1g-dev
If everything goes fine, go to SourceForge.net: Barry and download two packages, barry and libbarry.

Install libbarry first, then finally barry itself.

Plug in your blackberry, then use this shell command to check if it worked:
Quote:
btool -l
If it doesn't show your blackberry, try lsusb to see if there is any device names with RIM in it.. if not you will need to try unplug and plug again. If not you will need to research on why it didn't work.

If it does show device with your pin, it worked! Now on to configuring the script. I will assume sprint, but barry does come with few others service providers like rogers and verizon. If you have a different one, you will have to do some research. Anyway...

In my case, I had to edit the script. I wanted to keep the orginial one, so I did this...
Quote:
cd /etc/ppp/peers
sudo cp barry-sprint bb
Now it have a much shorter and easier to remember name. Now... I had to edit bb file that way...
Quote:
sudo nano bb
I looked for entries user and password. Default just doesn't work for sprint. You will have to use your sprint login and passwords here. (don't add < > to your user and password)
user <login>
password <youraccountpassword>

Since my device does have a password set on it, I had to edit other line...
change
Quote:
pty "/usr/sbin/pppob"
to
Quote:
pty "/usr/sbin/pppob -P <password>"
Change <password> to your device password.

*EDIT - sudo required, it makes pppd works perfectly each time.*

to start it, just type this command:
Quote:
sudo pppd call bb
to hang up...
When you are done, just press Ctrl-c to exit. Wait till it returns to prompt before closing, however, so it will hang up properly.

****Fixed - ignore this line. It usually works the first time. Oddly enough, it usually doesn't the second time. Just unplug and plug your bb again before dialing again.*****

Other odd problem happens if focus happens to be on your shell window when you plug in your bb, it will spam that box. Just click on desktop before you plug in your blackberry.

Hopefully it's a little bit helpful. I'm glad I didn't do the ugly method.

Last edited by Iare Tosevite; 09-23-2008 at 02:26 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote