View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #198
kingbear2

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

You wrote:

>>>
I'm reading this article on BlackBerry Cool (BlackBerry OS 5.0 details roundup | BlackBerry Cool), and wanted to know if anyone knows if we will be able to edit e-mails when we reply or forward e-mails within this 5.0 release?
>>>

There is a reason for not being able to edit e-mail on reply or forward. The reason is because when you reply to a message it doesn't create a new message, rather it takes the original message from the server, and attached your response or your forward to it. The reason for that is in case you hadn't downloaded the whole message, or if the message comes out weird on your blackberry, the person won't see that, rather he will see the original unmodified message. Also, in Outlook you will see a icon showing it was replied to or forwarded because of this technique.

On Windows Mobile, you need to click a special link to edit the original e-mail. It then downloads it fully and creates a new e-mail for the reply. Technically RIM could incorporate this feature as well but it would be a major upgrade with a lot of backend programming necessary to make this work.

To combat this, there is an add-on (although I tested it on the bold and as of now it still doesn't work) called "Forward with Edit". This program essentially creates a totally new e-mail with the original e-mail at the bottom, only it shows it the way it showed up on your blackberry, so if you don't get HTML e-mail on your blackberry but the original e-mail was HTML, the user you are sending it to will only see plain text.

I hope that clarifies the process for some of you. I'm sure most of you knew that whole thing already.

Last edited by kingbear2; 04-22-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote