View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
kvon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default No data capabilities w/ AT&T & 8700c?

Please Login to Remove!

Have done a lot of searching on these forums, and found lots of jargon bandied about that I don't understand, hope someone can help.

8700c with AT&T, pay as you go plan. The AT&T reps tell me my account is enabled for data access (at 1¢/min), however: network status shows "edge" (lower case), and "data connection refused". Also, after close to an hour with 2 different reps, they tell me that my device is apparently not compatible with their pay as you go services - I'd have to get a contract account. Bad answer for me - my monthly data needs are VERY low. I need pay as you go.

Saw on another post (which I can't for the life of me find again) one of the gurus saying that the data connection refused can mean 1 of 3 things: network signal/coverage issue, data plan is not "provisioned" for the carrier, or no data plan. I've ruled out 2 of the 3, so it must be this provisioning issue. I have no idea what that means.

Here's my questions: 1) is there a way to configure this device to work with AT&T mediaNet (or their pay as you go) data plan? 2) What are these things I keep seeing, and do I need to investigate: APN, WAP, TCP, provisioning...?? 3) Is switching networks an option (without switching the BB device)? Is this an unlocking issue?

Also, FWIW, I can't seem to access ANY of the FAQ pages. Keep getting a message saying "vBulletin Message: all cookies cleared!" What's up with that?!
Offline   Reply With Quote