View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #59
TimW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I need some assistance, please. I am going to a trade show this weeken where I do not believe WiFi access will be available. I have an TMO 8320, a Thinkpad X61 Tablet PC.

I've finally just got my x61 Tablet running well after updating Windows Vista (Business) and the Thinkpad drivers via the ThinkVantage software.

To be blunt, but I am a "user", not a programmer or nerd or geek (my wife is that person, and she's out of town for 2 weeks). I know just enough about technology and this stuff to get myself into more trouble than rectifying issues.

I went to the "UnCrippling Bluetooth in Vista RTM" by Dev-Hack, and followed the instructions to see how they went (without actually DOING anything). Under the section where it says "go to computer>properties>Device Manager)

I discovered: that there is no listing for BlueTooth, nor is there a listing for "Other Devices". I checked every entry in device manager, but nothing was "BlueTooth" or BT or similar. Under Ports, there is a RIM Virtual Serial Port for Com 4 and Com 5. That's the closest I get to anythign related to Bluetooth.

I searched for the file "BTWUSB.INF", and there isn't one. Because my BT adaptor is internal to the laptop, this makes sense, but was initially a concern. So i went to the C:\Windows directory, and found the following files:

BTH
BTH.PNF
BTHPAN
BTHPAN.PNF
BTHPRINT
BTHPRINT.PNF
BTHSPP
BTHSPP.PNF

Opening the BTH file, which had a "type" description of "Setup Information" with the PNF saying "Precompiled Setup Information". The "plain" BTH file had the title at the top
; Microsoft Windows Bluetooth Driver INF

Bingo. Ok, so I found that.

In referencing LarryH's post above about having to uninstall the actual BT Software, not just rename the old driver, I found "Thinkpad Bluetooth w/enhanced data rate software 6.0.1.4900" in the Programs and Features section in the Control Panel.

OK, so I read the instructions listed on page 1 of this, and can get my 8320 to pair with the laptop, but it lists only audio as options. On my 8320 it lists a bunch of other things.

When I tried adding my 8320 to the DM (4.2.2.14 SP2), it found and added it, then my Blackberry just shut off. Bam. Also, my laptop was asking to install drivers for my Blackberry device, asking for a CD, which I don't have.

There was no BT option under DUN using the Thinkpad modem (standard modem wouldn't even let me do anything with it).

Ok...I think I've explained all I've done/accomplished, but not the most lucidly, I realize.

Here's what I am asking...finally:

Can someone walk me through this, step by step, on how to get my X61 tablet to use my 8320 as a modem via Bluetooth. It can be either written, or over the phone. I will be happy to pay a reasonable consultation fee to do this.

Thanks for whatever assistance you might be able to provide.

Tim
602-402-7385

Last edited by TimW; 01-30-2008 at 11:21 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote