muzzol

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default linux relay

Please Login to Remove!

hi!

im not familiar with blackberry technology, so be kind

im evaluating a migration from exchange to postfix+dovecot+egroupware solution.

im almost there except for blackberry.

the customer have a blackberry server (BES server?) and i have some questions:

* generic questions:
- what are the main advantages of blackberry connector over a simple imap/pop3 program? i think is about doc/xls/pdf conversion, but i dont really get the point to mantain a very expensive service just for applying some filters/converters to allow people see their funny slides on the phone.

- what diferences are between having our own BES server or using RIM ones? i guess performance can be one, but im not sure.

- is better to create specific accounts for bb users or just use the regular ones?

- in case that i need specific bb accounts, where i create them? on the BES server/RIM server or my mail system?

* linux specific:

- related to my first generic question: what advantages are of getting mails through BES server over a plain pop/imap connection?

- i know there's no linux version of BES, any hints about virtualizating it?

- is there any dependencies to run BES besides obvius requisites?

- can i just forward/relay mails to a BES server? and to an account on a RIS server?

- can a BES server retrieve mails from a imap/pop system?

im sure i'll have more questions but i'll stop for now.

my intended setup is:

postfix + dovecot + egroupware

postfix droping mail to real accounts and forwarding a copy to bb accounts. this way i just have to set up a new account for every bb device and create an additional alias for the real user.

any additional hints will be more than wellcome,

best regards.

Last edited by muzzol; 01-25-2008 at 06:44 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote