View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default "WPA" WiFi Security Mode with the 8320?

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched the forum and have found a lot of helpful info regarding WiFi and the 8320, but nothing I've read so far addresses this question:

Can the 8320 be set up to access a WiFi network that is using "WPA Personal" encryption?

Background: I can connect to an unprotected WiFi signal coming from a neighboring condominium unit, and everything seems to work well. I can make/receive calls and send/receive data. However, I'd prefer to connect to my own WiFi router (with a much stronger signal) on which I use "WPA Personal" encryption (not to mention the fact that I'd rather not intrude on my neighbor's signal/bandwidth). My carrier is T-Mobile, but I do not have T-Mobile's HotSpot plan.

I note that when I attempt to manually add my home WiFi network, "WPA" is NOT one of the available options when it asks for a security type. The available options on the 8320 are "WEP, Pre-Shared Key (PSK), PEAP, LEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM."

So....

- Can WPA be added?
- If it can't be added, might it be available in a future OS upgrade?
- If "no" is the answer to both of the above questions, must I then change my home WiFi network to one of the security types listed on the 8320?

I was informed by one of the mods that there are folks out there who are, indeed, using WPA, and if so, someone must have a method for doing so.

THANKS for any advice you can share!

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Offline   Reply With Quote