View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #16
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
Has anyone heard anything about this being CDMA-unlocked out of the box? Someone mentioned that to me the other day at work, and I'm just curious if he was mixing up the GSM-unlock on the Sprint 8830 devices (as opposed to being locked to Vodafone on VZW). Anyhow, just curious, as I've never heard of a CDMA-unlocked device before.
Due to Sprints recent lost lawsuit relating to locking CDMA phones there are all kinds of rumors around. Many people think that now sprint will now be just as open to new phones as a GSM carrier, I dont see that happening. I think the only difference we will see is Sprint being willing to give out the MSL code so you can take your phone to use on a foreign CDMA carrier.

The locking that goes on in CDMA phones is 2 fold, a 6 digit MSL code that restricts access to programing the phone and the database of 'acceptable' ESNs Sprint and verizon maintain.

Unlocking a CDMA phone will allow you to use it on a CDMA provider who allows foreign ESNs that are not already in their database. Like Page Plus, who can already use verizon phones. (verizon uses 000000 for their MSL)

Neither Sprint nor Verizon allow the activation of ESNs that are not already in their database. There are rumors that this will now change but I have seen no proof.
Offline   Reply With Quote