Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
After much frustration with Verizon's position regarding disabling the GPS on the 8830, I ordered and received a Sprint 8830.

2.) Having the functional GPS is great! I played a round of Golf on Saturday. I used a golf score card application which also uses GPS to tell you the distance to the tee if you have the course data. It was a great example of why it is important that the internal GPS be functioning on the device.
Funny I submitted feedback to Verizon saying that I wanted to use the golf GPS application but could not. They responded with a generic response about how they don't support gps. This was my letter:

I recently upgraded to the Blackberry 8830 and am aware that it has a GPS chip in it. I would like to use this phone with the Intelligolf software that enables GPS assistance on the golf course, however I have learned that the Verizonwireless version of the 8830 has the GPS functionality disabled. Are there any plans to re-enable this, or should future potential customers go to Sprint to gain this flexibility?

And this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We apologize that you are not able to use the BlackBerry 8830 with the Intelligolf software to enable GPS assistance on the golf course. We are happy to assist you with your concern on using the BlackBerry 8830.

Verizon Wireless is committed to providing the very latest in products and services. Verizon Wireless does not provide support for the BlackBerry Maps application or 3rd party software that would be required to make full use of the 8830's GPS capabilities. As a result, the 8830's GPS functionality has not been enabled so that we are able to provide a standardized level of functionality and support for our advanced devices.

We are unable to state if or when additional GPS functionality will be enabled on the Verizon Wireless 8830. We understand and apologize for any frustration regarding this but we are only able to provide information regarding products or services that we are currently offering. We are unable to disclose any unconfirmed information because it would be subject to change and could raise expectations that may not be met.

If you have other questions or concerns, please write to us again through Cell Phones, Mobile Phones and plans for Personal - Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.