View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #20
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
Gotcha. So the "free" version just gives you a better signal at your house, whereas you can get a flat rate home calling plan for $10/month.

So with an unlocked phone (absent any AT&T comparable plan), you will basically just get a signal, but no free calling?
Correct. This extends their network 'virtually'. One thing I did forget to mention is that it was reported during their beta testing in metro areas that people would actually make an effort to make their calls at the local Starbucks or something else. Most of the time, you'd notice people being too lazy to take advantage for what they're paying for (for instance, I pay $100/mo for digital cable and OnDemand and all that crap, yet I've only watched actual television 4 times in past 3.5 months I've been in Atlanta), so that is an astonishingly high percentage of users who go out of their way to get free calls.

Regardless, I think it's a great idea. They are the first to market with GAN/UMA, so that's pretty huge for the non-trailblazing TMO. AT&T won't have something similar for another 1-2 years.