Old 05-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #41
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninark View Post
can anyone explain in really simple terms what this update will do for e-mail?

From what I understand this will allow for instant updates on receiving e-mail?
Does this affect the way all pop3 accounts are or just g-mail and yahoo?

I am just trying to figure out if I should be looking forward to it as much as I am.
Even thought the release date is (obviously) wrong, see here for what will supposedly be in BIS 2.3: BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 2.3 launches today : The Boy Genius Report

Features that will likely matter to most users include:

1. FULL (2-way -- like BES) Message Reconciliation with Gmail and Yahoo! Accounts: This is a pretty big step forward and will obviate the necessity for many of the "work-arounds" that have been developed in this regard.

2. Integration of Delivery & Read Receipts.

3. Ability to snag files (not just media files) from the MicroSD card and attach them to emails.

4. Ability to play .wav/.mp3 email attachments -- handy, even necessary, for those of us who have our voicemails forwarded to us via email (think Vonage/Cisco/etc.).

There are supposedly going to be some other enhancements as well, but those are the "Big 4" as far as I'm concerned -- each of which is a pretty significant step forward in the functionality of the device, which is why I am absolutely shocked that there's not more buzz about this on this Forum.

--Mav