View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #34
Kenal0
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b76302 View Post
I just switched from my T-Mobile 8700g to a Cingular Blackberry 8800. I was disappointed at first because on my Vista laptop, the standard modem did not show up even after a clean install of 4.2SP1.

My bluetooth adapter IOGear GBU211 is pretty flakey in Vista. I can sometimes get it to connect and see the dial up networking (by installing the XP drivers), but I can never connect without a long timeout and then a failure to initialize hardware.

I have presently resorted to plugging in via USB. I finally called Cingular 611 just for the heck of it and explained my issue. They told me, as did the person at the Cingular store where I bought the phone that they don't prohibit tethering and there is no extra fee outside of the Blackberry unlimited addon. Cingular support directed me to download the free Cingular Communication Manager. To my surprise it supports Vista and the Blackberry 8800, as well as the 8700.

The connection manager automatically sets up a standard modem device and puts in the init strings, etc. Unfortunately, I am now stuck trying to figure out why I am getting a 718 error while authenticating.

Hopefully someone can help here. However, I though I would mention the connection manager since I didn't know it existed until I called.
I was hoping the communication manager would help me but it does not recognize my 8100 as a bluetooth device, usb device or blackberry. I have tried it numerous was with the device manager and no go. I can tell you that I had errors with using the blackberry as a modem trying to connect to cingular until I changed to the blackberry unlimited with the tethering plan. I hope you can get it to work without but I could not. I have read conflicting reports about CS telling people they do not need the tethering package and in fact they did. Let us know.

Kenal0

Last edited by Kenal0; 05-01-2007 at 12:46 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote