View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #53
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Ok.... 7.04 ROCKS!

I am however back on 6.06... Why you ask? Because 6.06 just flat out loves my laptop, it's lightning fast and rock solid!

BUT

I did like 7.04 and although it is listed as a beta at this time, it's pretty solid and IMHO can be used as a stand alone OS in it's current configuration.

Here is what I gathered from it in my one whole day of use...

It has new artwork (yawn)
It does in fact have a windows migration tool (I could not test it because I don't have windows) I assume it searched for files, videos, songs etc and will import them into Ubuntu... KEWL! Way, way kewl!!!

The new wireless system is a big improvement with 128 WEP ready to rock right after boot! Sweet!!!!

Next up, printing.... Same old story with my Canon..... Linux hates it!!!!

Boot up and shut down times were a bit faster, with the proper tweaking...

It has an option now in the System >> Administration menu to search for and install restricted drivers! SWEET!

I think Ubuntu is getting very, very close to a windows replacement right out of the box with 7.04..... Everything worked with NO configuration at all! Wifi, sound, mousepad.... Detected and loaded with zero issues....

Printing is still a slight no go but for novice windows users they still would not be able to get it working.....

I might just go out on a limb here and say Ubuntu 7.04 is the closest yet to a REAL alternate windows solution.....