View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
andrej770
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I went into the Cingular store (corp store) and asked to buy one outright and was told the same BS story. So, I went ahead and signed up to get the phone with a contract with BB plan and all. Then the next day called Cingular's toll-free number and asked them to cancel the account, but that I wanted to keep the phone. They canceled the account and since I wanted to keep the phone, they charged me a Bill With Service for the remaining amount. I paid $349 plus activation fee. If you cancel within three (3) days of contract initiation you get the activation fee back also; if not you lose it. So I was refunded the activation fee and charged the additional $150 for the phone.

The in-store reps make their money from commission, so it should be understandable that they are going to make the "outright buy" process extremely difficult even to the point of lying about legal mumbo jumbo that prevents them from selling it retail. Ask them for a copy of the policy and or call their toll-free line right there in the store in front of them and ask to put in a complaint against the rep and the manager. At that point since their unwillingness will be documented in the official record that the National Sales VP (Larry Carter) may see, they will most likely relent and sell it outright.

I will say that if you are faint of heart and can't play hardball with them, don't, just find another store/retailer that will sell it outright.

Last edited by andrej770; 02-25-2007 at 04:13 PM..