View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #234
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

More and more info comes to light as time goes on. Some very interesting comments from a Cingular exec, back at CES after the MacWorld launch:

Quote:
LAS VEGAS—Movie studios and record labels have bent to Apple. But in the end, Apple bent to Cingular with a multi-year, exclusive US contract for an entire line of different iPhone models, Glenn Lurie, Cingular's president of national distribution told journalists at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2007) today.

When asked about a give-and-take leading to the Apple-Cingular partnership, Lurie said, "I'm not sure we gave anything." Later, he commented, "I think they bent a lot." That bending included allowing the phone to be locked to Cingular, just one of several restrictions on the new iPhone. Press reports today said the phone will not accept third-party applications, though Apple may allow third parties to program mini-application "widgets."
Now to me, the MOST interesting part of that quote is the final part. For emphasis, "Press reports today said the phone will not accept third-party applications, though Apple may allow third parties to program mini-application "widgets."

Additionally:

Quote:
While "there are bad guys out there that unlock phones," Lurie said, Apple and Cingular are taking unspecified steps to make the phone more difficult to unlock and use on other GSM carriers in the US.
As I was speculating, sounds likely that the prospects of unlocking this for use on other carriers, while maybe not impossible, will likely be even more difficult than most phones.

Cingular: We Made Apple Bend

So, based on the title of the article and the quotes therein, at least one thing appears certain - they seem to be a good match in terms of chest-beating and chutzpah, if nothing else.