Old 01-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #26
ron.pepper@sympatico.ca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by douirc
now i see nothing in add/remove programs, but when i first started, there was the WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software installed. Now I have no reference to BT at all, anywhere.

Honestly, I think the only resolution is to format my HDD, and after, install the BT dongle from scratch, this time not using the WIDCOMM installation program. Regardless, I have to point to the WIDCOMM directory when Windows asks for the BT drivers, because that's where they're located. If that doesn't do the trick, I've run out of ideas.

i think because WIDCOMM was installed once, it left some software behind, even after uninstalling, which is affecting Windows' installation. I don't know how else it could be affected.
I am a novice at all this stuff but if you follow Morser's post on Bluetooth Connectivity you will solve your problem. I think you need to add the dongle's Device Hardware ID to the XP's BT driver BTH.inf file. This way the xp BT software will kick in (technical word!!). You do not need the software that comes with the dongle, as a matter fact that's the problem. You want to uninstall that and the driver for the dongle but only after you have read the post, have found the hardware ID of the dongle device in (properties, details) as mentioned in Morser's thread. If you want to save hours follow this post VERBATUM.

Good luck!!!