Thread: Spam on BB
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 05:23 PM   #48
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Default RIM workaround

For all of you that are getting spam on your BB, yes RIM is the victim of a large scale spammer and they are trying to find a solution to stopping it. It has been going on for a week to 10 days. I called RIM and they gave me two workarounds:
1. If you do not use your blackberry email account at all then you can delete it and it will stop the spam. If your are using BIS 1.8 you will not be able to delete this account unless you upgrade to 2.0. I did not do this as, in my opinion, the advantages such as better integration with yahoo and GMail are outweighed by the loss of the online inbox.
2. Put in a filter which will look like this "if all of these conditions are met... In the "From" box type "Sent To/Cc" then leave the contains box alone and in the last box type in your blackberry address (not your yahoo or other address that you want to continue receiving from). Finally, have the offending mail moved to another folder and tell it not to be sent to the handheld. I have it moved to my inbox as I still have one on 1.8 and can check it later to see if any mail I wanted is there. On 2.0 you will have to move it somewhere else - "drafts?"

Last edited by BBRaffey; 11-20-2006 at 05:26 PM..