View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T
Talking 8100 Pics Inside & Out after toilet bath

Please Login to Remove!

So without a case, it was inevitable. I was bending over to help my two year old get onto the toilet this morning, when "plop" I look down and there is the Pearl, which I got just two days ago, at the bottom of the bowl (Clean thankfully). It had fallen out of my shirt pocket.

Being a member of this forum, having read the horror stories and suggestions about bathing Blackberry's, I knew EXACTLY what to do in just such a dire emergency:

I left my two year old standing there half undressed, got the 8100 out of the toilet, got it apart, and got the battery out. All of this transpired in 10 seconds or less.

I shook the device out as best as possible and left the pieces in my pocket for the next 90min. while we sat through the rest of our church service. I REALLY wanted to leave the kids and wife there, go home and get it apart and vaccuume it out but, my wife would have yet another "Your blackberry is more important than me" statement.

So when I got it home, I was able to carefully take the device apart. It comes apart fairly easily. I used 40psi of air to blow out any remaining water, and yes after 90min there was still water in it. I used a shop-vac to get any water from under the covered/shielded chips. I set it in the basement next to a fan, in parts, for about 30min.

I was able to put it back together, taking special precautions not to loose the Mic, which is kind of loose in the frame, and at the same time, keep dust off of the screen and inside cover for the screen.

Now came the true test... I put the battery in and turned it on.

And?

...It seems to perform all functions as it did when I got it. Keep your fingers crossed folks.

I have included a variety of pictures for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	5314   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	5315   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	479