View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

It shouldn't be very daunting as your guy said. As I've stated in the past, look at BES as just another alternate email client for your email system. It checks email (using the same API as your desktop as well), and forwards it to your blackberry. Technically I don't think it does anything more or less really than your typical desktop client. The real difference is that it checks multiple accounts from the same machine, and acts as a "go-between" from your device to the email server.

Oh, and as for running BES on the same machine as other apps, you chould first check out VMWare. That might provide a better solution for you if installing multiple apps on one machine. Not too expensive either.

IMO, if I were you, download BES and install. Especially if it's a VMWare box, then if you screw something up with the install, just reload the image and you can have a fresh box inside of about 5 mins. It isn't hard to install and get going though. The install process is pretty much fully automated with yes/no questions and a few fill in the blanks for ip addresses and server keys. Nothing super technical or complicated about it at all.