View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: BBM or Whatsapp?

I understand, generally, maybe not with a smartphone, there are ways to obfuscate or disguise metadata--I'm struggling for the right word--and it works until someone finds a hole in the method or system. And there's a patch. And then another hole is found an exploited. And then you have to worry that there are holes that have been discovered and kept secret but are being exploited.

Still, the larger point is the metadata is practically just as useful as the content of the communication. If you start with the belief that you can't do anything with the metadata, then what more do you gain with strong encryption of the content?

To me, the purpose of end-to-end encryption for the content of the communication is to prevent the content being somewhere on the network in plain text. BBM meets that goal for me. I don't expect anything to be impenetrable to some new PhD candidate or some party with skill and resources. So, to me, BBM is good enough.

That is good to hear about the settings. Thanks for the information. Actually, I was surprised to learn the sharing is off by default. That is a good sign.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile