View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: RIM's Support Regarding the PowerButton

I've had mine for a week and I've only used the power button twice. I see no need to raise it since they put the shutown, standby, restart on the battery icon.

And I have to ask this... Why in the heck does everyone think RIM is failing? I just don't get it. They are flush with cash, have no long term debt, and continue to crank out profit (albeit at a level that is not acceptable to the pundits). Yes, they are losing market share to both Apple and Android devices, but, just as Apple did, IBM did, and other companies have done, they will re-adjust and very likely trounce the competition.

My household is 2 Blackberries, 2 Androids, and 1 iPhone. I can tell you right now I will keep my Blackberry. The other ones ARE nice and have some VERY cool features, but while two of us go days or weeks without ever even power cycling our 9650s, the android devices are a two or three times a day re-boot with flaky stuff going on all the time. The iPhone is more solid, but I would certainly not call it a RIM killer.

Lastly, after a lot of decision time and playing around with both an iPad 2, a Xoom and a Playbook, I bought my playbook last week. As far as I am concerned, this device is living proof that RIM knows what is going on. Yes, they made an error in not driving phones to run QNX as soon as possible, and they freely admit that. RIM knows what they are up against and will definitely launch new devices that are solid and feature packed.

I would put my Playbook up against any tablet. The apps will come. And I don't need a "booger flicking" app. I need real apps and not that many of them. Most of them are already there. In fact, give me a Nook app and I will be in Tablet heaven. The form factor and hardware of the Playbook are superior to others (IMHO) and it will be very successful as it matures.