BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default Re: Forum Consensus on Device Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemack View Post
Good morning all!

I would just like to ask a question to get the "opinions" in this forum.

I bought a Torch, (9800) some months back, (around Xmas maybe), and to date, it is working perfect and I love it. Actually, my wife and I bought a matching pair of them. About six months before that, I bought a new computer with WIN 7 HP on it and had to update my Blackberry desktop software to accommodate that. But we both still have the original "Device" software installed on our Blackberries.

I like to peruse these forums just for information and occasionally, I see post concerning unhappiness over what some "new update" has done to people's phones. I think I remember someone even trying to UN-update their phone or go back to a previous version to re-attain some functionality they lost.

So, my basic question to the forum is- How important is it that you install every update as it comes down the pike? I ask because my Desktop software keeps informing me that a device update is available and I keep ignoring it because I like my phone the way it is.

I don't use mine for business although my wife does. But even in her case, there is no feature that she complains about not having. I know she is quite happy with it the way it is now. And I certainly don't want to do anything to change or loose what we already have.

I am just not sure how much these updates are for added features or security.
Well, if I had to guess, I'd say the forum concensus is...

There isn't one! Some here are the early adopters, and try every single new OS version that comes out. They report here about their experiences, and the rest of us wait for the reports from them and then decide whether the latest release is a good one to install or not. Since they try every single one, you're right - sometimes if a new version has bugs or issues, they'll talk about downgrading.

For me - and I'd recommend for you - wait a while and watch the threads here about each new release and see what the early adopters think, then make your decision. In my case, I've updated my (and my wife's) from 6.0.0.224 to .337 to .576 and skipped everything else in between.

I will say though, if your phones are on 6.0.0.24 as your profile says, they're LONG overdue for an update. Based on what I've seen here, I'd probably recommend either 6.0.0.546 or 6.0.0.570.
Offline   Reply With Quote