View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
chewedpup

Model: 9600
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Syncing with google sync - hundreds of duplicates - what can be done?

Please Login to Remove!

I have 519 gmail contacts. I gave up on trying to sync them with outlook because the fields aren't 100% compatible and I ended up with mismatched fields, names starting with And or with a comma - it was a disaster. So I gave that up and figured I'd just use gmail. I downloaded the google sync app and did a sync (although my blackberry would not let me choose the option "do not allow duplicates") - and after syncing, I had over 2000 names in my blackberry. Disaster. Wiped it clean, tried again, after doublechecking all my gmail contacts - they were all 100% accurate, all listed first name and then last name - tried syncing, same result. It duplicated just about every single name, some twice, some 6 times, some 11 times - for no rhyme or reason. And even worse - the contacts in my gmail account were ALSO duplicated - now I had over 750. For no reason! So I spent half a day tidying them up, wiped my bb clean, and deleted the google sync application and thought I'd just leave my phone empty for now until I could figure this out. AFter a restart, it seems that all my contacts from gmail are now in my phone (how that happened I dont know) - which is great - there don't seem to be any duplicates - but the problem is now that when I go into gmail and add a contact - how do I then get it to my blackberry? I literally have spent 3 days on this problem, have called Sprint (my carrier) - they of course have no idea - and have looked online and found HUNDREDS of people with the same problem. How on earth can this be resolved? All I want is to have the SAME updated list of contacts in my blackberry as I do in gmail - it shouldn't be that hard, should it? And come to think of it, it would be nice to be able to add a contact using my computer - which I can do when I have internet access, but what about offline, when there is no internet? Is there a way of adding a contact to my gmail contacts offline? Like I said - I just want NO duplicates (it took me days to whittle down my gmail contacts to 519 but I wanted a crisp, clean addres book) - and now everything is ruined. Fortunately I had a .csv backup of my gmail contacts, but when I used the sync app, it duplicated lots of addreses IN gmail and made hundreds of dupes in my blackberry. Please help before I ride over my phone with my truck. I am starting to hate it.
Offline   Reply With Quote