View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
tom0100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default But a tour 2 or switch to tmobile

In the USA: AT&T and T-mobile use one technology (also the standard in Europe). As mentioned these are common GSM world phones.

Verizon and Sprint use an older technology and thus they have to use different phones (they usually can't use World phones)...They use CDMA technology.

You can unlocked a 9700 and easily switch to T-mobile. If you don't like T-mobile; Verizon should be getting the Tour 2 soon (which is a bit larger but basically the same as a 9700 but is based the the CDMA phone technology). I do wish Sprint and Verizon would switch (or transition) to more common world phones. Maybe LTE will do this in the future....hopefully.

Verizon has a VERY good network. It's more consistent, in my opinion, then AT&T but you generally pay a premium for its service.

AT&T? I do agree that considering the money they HAUL in from the IPhone...they do have relatively poor service (and 'OK' reception). Service center hours were extended but when I started with them a few years back they only had phone based customer support until 6pm!! or something. T-mobile has 24/7. AT&T extended the hours to 10pm I think but they do charge almost as much as Verizon with a 'weaker' network. BUT they have that darn jesus phone (iphone) and feel they CAN charge whatever they want 'cause the sheep buy the Iphone.

This is becoming long but I have MANY friends who left Verizon (hoping the Iphone would come to them but it never did) and just NEEDED the Iphone.

Look, I got an Iphone and an Itouch. I don't even use the iphone much anymore 'cause I swap the sim to a blackberry (I just use a Itouch for what the Iphone does). And the AT&T commercials kill me! I sometimes surf while on a call but it is sooo seldom. Both T-mobile and AT&T will let you surf the web (it's a GSM thing) while on a call...but I would bet MOST Americans never do it.

Last edited by tom0100; 12-31-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote