View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
martyscholes

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I agree with Penguin. If you are trying to charge using the USB port on a PC, then you need to have DM installed as that has the appropriate drives that you need for charging. In addition, you must be plugged into the PC directly, not via a HUB.

I also have never found a charger that didn't work as advertised, even the Motorola phone chargers work as long as it had the right tip.

I currently use my iPod cable connected to my PC to charge my BB. Works like a champ.
Thank you as well. Reading the replies, I am getting the (possibly incorrect) sense that most people have only tried four approaches:
1. Windows + drivers
2. Charger claiming BB compatability
3. Linux + bcharge
4. Certain Moto chargers

Assuming the above is correct, each of those approaches (except #4) has or claims BB-specific "stuff," be it drivers or whatnot.

Motorola had some weirdness in their chargers, possibly coinciding with the BB weirdness I am suspecting.

Has anyone used a non-BB, non-Moto, non-PC, plain Jane USB port for charging? I know the generic USB car charger "should" work and a generic wall charger "should" work, but my experience says otherwise. Reinforcing my beliefs, websites explain how to trick the BB into charging mode by putting a resistor on the data line.

I have long since lost the official BB USB cable, and I also wonder if it is non-standard.

I just moved and can't find my multimeter, but as soon as I find it, I am going to cut the connector and strap a 5v power supply to the correct wires and document precisely what I find.

Maybe instead of whining, I should just build my own cable. I was kind of hoping for a response of, "Oh yeah, just go into Settings and change foo to bar and it will work with any USB port."

Thanks again,
Marty
Offline   Reply With Quote