View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
GeoGiant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Solved it! The cause of the problem has to do with the Windows Registry not having permission to to register the files. This is not a hard problem to fix. Here is what I did if anyone runs into this problem.

1. Download the SubInACL tool and install it (google search it). By default it will install to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

2. If you are running Windows Vista, click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then right-click on the item named Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator

3. If you are running an OS other than Windows Vista (I run XP with serivce pack 3), go to the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK

4. Type notepad reset.cmd and click yes to create a new file named reset.cmd

5. Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd and then save and close it -

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators > %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /keyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

6. Type reset.cmd and press enter to run the SubInACL tool. This tool will take several minutes to run ( like 30 minutes in my case), and it requires that the user account you are using has administrator privileges on the system. This is why it is necessary to run it from an elevated cmd prompt on Windows Vista. Step 2 above can be used to start an elevated cmd prompt on Windows Vista.

7. After reset.cmd completes, we can manually register the failed DLL files.

Navigate to the directory that the DLL files are in and register them.
Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Connectors\ISGroupWise6.5.X\ and hit enter.
Type regsvr32 gw.dll and hit enter
Type gwapi.dll and hit enter
Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Desktop Setup\ and hit enter
Type regsvr32 DesktopSetup_pb.dll and hit enter
Type C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Action Engine\ and hit enter
Type regsvr32 SyncAE_pb.dll and hit enter

That's it. I hope this saves someone the hours I spent trying......
Offline   Reply With Quote